Wednesday
Feb 18, 2026

MPSC PSI protest in Pune and Chhatrapati Sambhajinagar as aspirants say delay ruined careers

MPSC PSI protest in Pune and Chhatrapati Sambhajinagar as aspirants say delay ruined careers

National Bulletin Network (NBN)

Pune: Maharashtra witnessed a tsunami of anger on Thursday as MPSC Police Sub-Inspector (PSI) aspirants hit the streets, protesting against the state government and demanding immediate age-limit relaxation. Students alleged that delays in the recruitment process have pushed several eligible candidates out of contention, threatening to wipe out years of preparation and sacrifice.

With the January 4 examination looming, MPSC aspirants staged protests in Pune demanding age-limit relaxation in the PSI recruitment, warning that government inaction could permanently derail their careers.

The protest, that has hit Pune and Chhatrapati Sambhajinagar, has received widespread support across the state, including backing from political leaders cutting across party lines.

The agitation erupted after aspirants alleged that the Maharashtra Public Service Commission (MPSC) delayed the PSI recruitment notification by several months, a lapse they say has directly cost them their eligibility. Protesters argued that they followed every rule laid down by the system, but are now being punished for the government’s failure to act on time.

“We did not miss the deadline — the government did,” said an agitating aspirant in Pune. “After spending nearly a decade preparing, we are being told we are too old. This is not incompetence, this is injustice.”

The protest has quickly snowballed into a political flashpoint, with leaders openly extending support to the students.

Former state minister Bacchu Kadu, backing the agitation, warned the government against ignoring the growing anger among youth. “These students are fighting for their rightful chance. If justice is denied, I will stand shoulder to shoulder with them on the streets until the government is forced to listen,” he said.

While Congress MLC Satej ‘Bunty’ Patil squarely blamed the administration, calling the delay entirely avoidable. “The government failed to release the notification on time. Students cannot be made scapegoats for administrative lapses,” he said, demanding immediate relief.

NCP MLA Rohit Pawar also raised concern over reports of police action against protesters.“Registering cases against aspirants will permanently damage their future. These are not criminals; they are victims of the system,” he cautioned. 

Activist, Manoj Jarange Patil too was seen interacting with the students. He even called up the CMO threatening, "Do not force me to sit in this agitation," anf further extended his support to those protetsing.

Despite repeated representations and assurances, aspirants say no formal decision has been announced so far by the government, forcing them to intensify the protest. Students have now issued a 72-hour ultimatum, warning that the agitation will spread statewide if the government continues to remain silent.